An SPS audit of your packaging operation is a comprehensive examination of the process to verify that it is performing as intended. Processes generate results, and process audits determine if the results are accurate and being generated by an effectively managed process. Packaging process audits will ensure that procedures are properly followed, problems are quickly corrected, there is consistency in the process, and there is continuous improvement and corrective action as needed.
Here are a simple yet important set of steps SPS will employ to analyze your packaging process:
- Work closely to define the packaging process to be audited.
- Build the right cross-functional team to conduct the audit.
- Decide how often the process should be observed.
- Announce the audit in advance so there are no surprises.
- Set up an audit schedule that provides results based on a random sample.
- Clearly document and communicate any problems discovered.
- Determine and perform agreed upon corrective actions.
- Monitor and re-audit corrective-action results.
Here is an example of a few of the packaging audits we perform for our customers on a regular basis:
- Shrink Film Process Audits – There are multiple factors which affect the grade, gauge, and final roll width of shrink film being used in your manufacturing process. Our packaging engineering team has the tools and objective criteria to assess your shrink film needs and requirements. We will define the optimal film for your products.
- Lean Wrap Stretch Film Analysis – This is not your average film test! Our Lean Wrap analysis checks every aspect of your stretch film use and compares it against empirical data we have gathered over years of testing to ensure the lowest cost per unit effectively shipped. On average we can save roughly 20% in film use while reducing product damage during distribution.
- Carton Sealing Tape Reduction – Most customers ship their products utilizing corrugated RSC cartons sealed with pressure sensitive tapes. Tape grades, gauges, and widths can vary greatly. In addition, the application of these tapes is often an inefficient and wasteful process. SPS can help you specify the correct tape and optimize it’s use.